What you need to know before starting archery
Thanks in part to the popularity of “The Hunger Games” book series and movies, more and more people are taking up archery.
According to the Outdoor Foundation, the number of Americans participating in archery has grown over the past year.
Before you head out and take on this new sport, consider these tips before you get started:
- Find a qualified instructor. According to USA Archery, there are numerous clubs and instructional programs offered around the country to teach people the fundamentals of the sport.
- Rent before you buy. Before making an investment in equipment before you’ve decided if archery is a sport you’re going to stick with, consider first renting equipment. This will also help you determine what kind of equipment you’d like to eventually purchase.
- Be patient with yourself. It may take a while before you’ve mastered archery and are hitting the center each time.
- Get your arms ready. Those with more upper body strength may find it easier to compete in archery.
- Practice! Just like any sport, the more you practice the better you’ll become.
Have fun! While it may be frustrating to watch arrow after arrow miss the target while you’re learning, try to have fun and keep perspective
2 Lynn women killed in accident on Kings Highway
Man says police have often mistaken him for Eric Frein
Vacation turns to tragedy when 3-year-old girl is killed
Canada PM: Soldier slain 'in cold blood'
Divers go underwater to map submerged trains
Police: Man posing as concert promoter targets retirement community
Boy, 16, charged with attempted homicide in stabbing
Bucks County man killed in crash on I-78 East in Upper Saucon
AIDS activist killed in crash remembered as inspiration to others
Health Beat: What your teeth are trying to tell you