What you need to know before starting archery
Thanks in part to the popularity of “The Hunger Games” book series and movies, more and more people are taking up archery.
According to the Outdoor Foundation, the number of Americans participating in archery has grown over the past year.
Before you head out and take on this new sport, consider these tips before you get started:
- Find a qualified instructor. According to USA Archery, there are numerous clubs and instructional programs offered around the country to teach people the fundamentals of the sport.
- Rent before you buy. Before making an investment in equipment before you’ve decided if archery is a sport you’re going to stick with, consider first renting equipment. This will also help you determine what kind of equipment you’d like to eventually purchase.
- Be patient with yourself. It may take a while before you’ve mastered archery and are hitting the center each time.
- Get your arms ready. Those with more upper body strength may find it easier to compete in archery.
- Practice! Just like any sport, the more you practice the better you’ll become.
Have fun! While it may be frustrating to watch arrow after arrow miss the target while you’re learning, try to have fun and keep perspective
Shelter in place issued for Barrett and Price Townships
3 die in 2-vehicle crash in Lancaster Co.
Police close roads in Monroe County during search for Eric Frein
Couple squashes competition with pumpkins at Oley fair
Marijuana grow operation dismantled; hundreds of plants seized
Police continue search for Eric Frein
Frein eludes police; Most wanted billboards popping up
Pocono Mountain schools closed for third day in a row Friday
Man armed with sword robs convenience store
Frein search makes neighbors change routines