What you need to know before starting archery
Thanks in part to the popularity of “The Hunger Games” book series and movies, more and more people are taking up archery.
According to the Outdoor Foundation, the number of Americans participating in archery has grown over the past year.
Before you head out and take on this new sport, consider these tips before you get started:
- Find a qualified instructor. According to USA Archery, there are numerous clubs and instructional programs offered around the country to teach people the fundamentals of the sport.
- Rent before you buy. Before making an investment in equipment before you’ve decided if archery is a sport you’re going to stick with, consider first renting equipment. This will also help you determine what kind of equipment you’d like to eventually purchase.
- Be patient with yourself. It may take a while before you’ve mastered archery and are hitting the center each time.
- Get your arms ready. Those with more upper body strength may find it easier to compete in archery.
- Practice! Just like any sport, the more you practice the better you’ll become.
Have fun! While it may be frustrating to watch arrow after arrow miss the target while you’re learning, try to have fun and keep perspective
City's "ugly" Christmas tree causes controversy
WWII vet shoots wife, kills self, Allentown police say
State police seek missing Palmerton teen
Local residents urged to be on alert for high levels of deadly gas
Construction worker struck by vehicle on turnpike
One year since mysterious disappearance of local woman
2nd truck drops into sinkhole in Bethlehem Twp. neighborhood
Lafayette pounds Lehigh in 150th meeting, 27-7
Fundraiser planned for teen injured in crash
Suspect arraigned morning after stabbing incident