What you need to know before starting archery
Thanks in part to the popularity of “The Hunger Games” book series and movies, more and more people are taking up archery.
According to the Outdoor Foundation, the number of Americans participating in archery has grown over the past year.
Before you head out and take on this new sport, consider these tips before you get started:
- Find a qualified instructor. According to USA Archery, there are numerous clubs and instructional programs offered around the country to teach people the fundamentals of the sport.
- Rent before you buy. Before making an investment in equipment before you’ve decided if archery is a sport you’re going to stick with, consider first renting equipment. This will also help you determine what kind of equipment you’d like to eventually purchase.
- Be patient with yourself. It may take a while before you’ve mastered archery and are hitting the center each time.
- Get your arms ready. Those with more upper body strength may find it easier to compete in archery.
- Practice! Just like any sport, the more you practice the better you’ll become.
Have fun! While it may be frustrating to watch arrow after arrow miss the target while you’re learning, try to have fun and keep perspective
Morganelli: Police-involved shooting investigation could take weeks
Police: Man provides false information about Eric Frein
Foul language may stop plans to rename ASD field for Andre Reed
Tractor trailer accident stops traffic on Route 422
Deadly shooting shatters quiet at Washington school
Grandfather: Marysville school shooter hit cousins
Woman pleads guilty in animal cruelty case
Police: Deaths of 2 men inside car a murder-suicide
Police: Stolen vehicle not used by Frein
Thousands of dollars raised for man repeatedly mistaken for Eric Frein