Symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children
Updated On: Nov 14 2013 09:18:04 AM CST
The signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children usually develop quickly, over a period of weeks. Look for:
- Increased thirst and frequent urination. As excess sugar builds up in your child's bloodstream, fluid is pulled from the tissues. This may leave your child thirsty. As a result, your child may drink -- and urinate -- more than usual.
- Extreme hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your child's cells, your child's muscles and organs become energy depleted. This triggers intense hunger.
- Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, your child may lose weight -- sometimes rapidly. Without the energy sugar supplies, muscle tissues and fat stores simply shrink. Unexplained weight loss is often the first sign to be noticed.
- Fatigue. If your child's cells are deprived of sugar, he or she may become tired and lethargic.
- Irritability or unusual behavior. Children with undiagnosed type 1 diabetes may suddenly seem moody or irritable.
- Blurred vision. If your child's blood sugar is too high, fluid may be pulled from the lenses of your child's eyes. This may affect your child's ability to focus clearly.
- Yeast infection. Girls with type 1 diabetes may have a genital yeast infection, and babies can develop diaper rash caused by yeast.
When to see a doctor
Talk to your child's doctor if you notice any of the signs or symptoms of type 1 diabetes -- increased thirst and frequent urination, extreme hunger, weight loss, blurred vision, or fatigue.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Wind hampers efforts to fight 5-alarm fire at motel in Muhlenberg
Driver killed when car hits tree on Route 10 in Berks
Reading police officer charged in theft of money evidence
Man killed when hit by minivan near airport
BBQ truck hearing sizzles in N. Whitehall Twp.
Feds: Schuylkill County firm attempted to smuggle machinery to Iran
BBQ food truck in danger of being shut down by township
Red Cross sets up shelter for motel fire victims
Woman pleads guilty to homicide by vehicle
MH370 search: Object not from plane