Symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children
Updated On: Nov 14 2013 09:18:04 AM CST
The signs and symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children usually develop quickly, over a period of weeks. Look for:
- Increased thirst and frequent urination. As excess sugar builds up in your child's bloodstream, fluid is pulled from the tissues. This may leave your child thirsty. As a result, your child may drink -- and urinate -- more than usual.
- Extreme hunger. Without enough insulin to move sugar into your child's cells, your child's muscles and organs become energy depleted. This triggers intense hunger.
- Weight loss. Despite eating more than usual to relieve hunger, your child may lose weight -- sometimes rapidly. Without the energy sugar supplies, muscle tissues and fat stores simply shrink. Unexplained weight loss is often the first sign to be noticed.
- Fatigue. If your child's cells are deprived of sugar, he or she may become tired and lethargic.
- Irritability or unusual behavior. Children with undiagnosed type 1 diabetes may suddenly seem moody or irritable.
- Blurred vision. If your child's blood sugar is too high, fluid may be pulled from the lenses of your child's eyes. This may affect your child's ability to focus clearly.
- Yeast infection. Girls with type 1 diabetes may have a genital yeast infection, and babies can develop diaper rash caused by yeast.
When to see a doctor
Talk to your child's doctor if you notice any of the signs or symptoms of type 1 diabetes -- increased thirst and frequent urination, extreme hunger, weight loss, blurred vision, or fatigue.
Distributed by Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police: 4 children killed in crash were not in seatbelts or booster seats
State police lift 'Shelter in Place' order; Frein still on the loose
Shelter in place remains in effect; no police updates on Frein search
Experts: Frein using dense woods to his advantage
Chaplain: State Police ambush survivor has undergone four surgeries
Motorcyclist killed after crashing into deer
Two men shot in downtown Allentown
Stuck residents get home as Frein search goes on
Frein eludes police; Most wanted billboards popping up
Quarrel over Common Core: A Pennsylvania Primer