Sunrise Chef: John O’Connell
Updated On: Dec 13 2013 11:27:09 AM CST
Today our guest chef is the perfect person to teach us something in the kitchen!
Culinary instructor John O'Connell heads The Restaurant at LCTI in Schnecksville.
Sausage & Spinach Strata
1 lb. sausage, casings removed
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
8 eggs, beaten
10 cups cubed, day-old bread
3 cups whole milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups cubed Black Forest ham
1- 10 oz. pkg frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained
2 Tbsps. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsps. mustard powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsps. butter, melted
2 tsps. dried basil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Generously grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
3. Heat a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir sausage until crumbly and completely browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer cooked sausage to the prepared casserole dish.
4. Cook and stir mushrooms in the same skillet over medium heat until liquid has been released and mushrooms are lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes; drain.
5. Mix mushrooms, eggs, bread, milk, cheese, ham, spinach, flour, mustard powder, salt, butter, and basil together in a large bowl; pour over sausage. Cover casserole dish and refrigerate, 2 hours to overnight.
6.Bake in the preheated oven until a knife inserted into the center of the strata comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes.
Seared Chicken with Walnut Sage Cream Sauce
2 each chicken breast French skin on
2 Tbsps butter
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped shallots
3 Tbsps chopped fresh sage, plus extra for garnish
3/4 cup white wine
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Heat skillet and add vegetable oil
2. Place seasoned chicken skin down in hot pan, sear until skin is golden brown.
3. Melt butter in medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon, keeping butter in pan.
4. Add shallots and chopped sage to skillet and stir for one minute. Add wine and cream and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Stir parmesan cheese into sauce, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Cook Chicken in oven until internal temperature reads 165 degrees.
Berks man dies in accident after hitting tree, overturning vehicle
Berks man charged in theft of millions in public money
Woman killed, 2 others injured in crash that closed Pa. Turnpike
Deadly pedestrian accident investigated as hit-and-run, police say
Allentown teacher dies in motorcycle accident
Phillipsburg band teacher arrested, charged for taping student
Womelsdorf man struck, killed trying to cross Route 422
PPL proposes new 725-mile regional transmission line
Carjackers' plan fails when gun falls apart, police say
Traffic flagger struck by vehicle, killed in Schuylkill County