St. Luke's Half Marathon race will force road closures in Allentown
Updated On: Apr 25 2013 09:41:45 AM CDT
If you'll be driving in Allentown this weekend, a big race may affect your route.
Events for the 2013 St. Luke's Half Marathon will require some street closures along the race routes in Allentown.
On Saturday, Hamilton Street in downtown will be closed between Eighth and 12th streets from 2:30 p.m. til 4:30 p.m. for the St. Luke's Youth Run.
In addition, Eighth, Ninth, 10th and 11th streets will also be closed at their intersections with Hamilton Street.
Motorists are urge to use extra caution in the race areas as participants and their families will converge on the area.
On Sunday, the following streets will be closed from 8 - 11 a.m. along the courses for the St. Luke's Half Marathon and 5K races:
• Linden Street (which becomes Broadway) between 17th Street and Ott Street (closed until 11:30 a.m.)
• Broadway between Ott Street and Cedar Crest Blvd. -- closed between 8 a.m. and 8:40 a.m. for the 5k race.
• Ott Street between Broadway and Hamilton Boulevard (reopens at about 9 a.m.)
• Hamilton Boulevard between 21st and 22nd streets (sporadic closures)
• Yocco Drive
• Reading Road/Walnut Street between Yocco Drive and St. Elmo Street.
• South St. Elmo Street
• Union Street at the St. Elmo Street intersection
• Lehigh Parkway East between Martin Luther King Jr., Blvd. and Lehigh Parkway North, and Lehigh Parkway north at the entrance to the Lehigh Parkway trail.
• Park Drive in the Lehigh Parkway park
• Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. between St. Elmo Street and South 3th Street and the roads that intersect with Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, including the ramps to 15th Street, South 10th Street, Lehigh Street and West Union Street near Parkettes.
Detours will be posted and police will be available to direct traffic.
This year more than 4,200 people are registered to run the half marathon and another 700 for the 5K. They hail from more than 20 states.
The half marathon will begin Sunday at 8:10 a.m. in front of William Allen High School at 126 North 17th St.
The 5K will begin at the same location at 8 a.m. Sunday.
A PDF map of the race course is available.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Man shoveling snow outside church found unconscious, bleeding
Coroner: Trooper's pregnant wife was shot in the head
2 days later, no sign of missing Malaysia Airlines plane
Firm: Pa. woman was aboard missing Malaysia Airlines flight
Van der Sloot to be extradited -- in 2038
Severed animal heads found in Monroe County
Official: Couple who wrote apparent suicide pact had long history of medical issues
US Supreme Court: Let them wear 'boobies' bracelets
Residents urged to salute troops returning home from Afghanistan
Man accused of using front-end loader to assault 73-year-old woman