79° F

Missing Lambertville woman, Sarah Majoras, believed to be found dead

Published On: Jan 30 2013 07:00:00 PM EST   Updated On: Jan 31 2013 07:38:03 AM EST

Body found may be missing NJ woman


After four days, the hunt for a missing Lambertville, New Jersey woman appears to be over.  Authorities say they've recovered the body of a female from a canal that could be 39-year-old Sarah Majoras.

As the rain falls so do the tears.  News a body recovered from the D&R canal Wednesday could be that of missing New Hope bartender Sarah Majoras has hit the community hard.

"It's gonna take a long time for the town to heal," shared Peter Markowicz.  "It's such a small community, everybody cares for each other."


Investigators say the body was pulled from the canal just before 5 p.m.  The discovery was made after police say a boot was found in the water.  

Investigators say the body appears to match the description of Majoras but they have not officially identified the body.

"Her smile, that's all you want people to remember, the smile."

"When she smiled it just made you laugh," added co-worker Patti Gabriel.

Wednesday night the bar Majoras worked at in New Hope for 16 years was closed.  Inside co-workers and close friends tried to wrap their heads around the tragedy.

"You're not supposed to die when you're 39 years of age," added John Larsen, owner of John and Peter's.

Investigators say they don't believe foul play was involved, but haven't ruled it out.  

After leaving John and Peter's around 2 a.m. Saturday, Majoras walked home across the New Hope-Lambertville bridge. That was the last time anyone saw her.  Since her disappearance, searchers from more then a dozen state and local departments and agencies have scoured the area.  They wouldn't see a happy ending. 

"This woman was very, very special, and I don't know how else to put it," smiled Larsen.  "There wasn't anything about her that was ordinary."

At this point, what happened to Sarah is a mystery.  Authorities say they're still investigating and want anyone who saw or heard anything early Saturday morning to call the police.