Serial dollar store thief Richard Weatherspoon sentenced to 6 to 18 years behind bars
A Lehigh County man with a penchant for burglarizing Dollar Tree stores has been sentenced to 6 to 18 years behind bars.
Richard Allen Weatherspoon, of the 100 block of North 4th Street in Allentown, was sentenced Wednesday on multiple charges stemming from burglaries or attempted burglaries of eight different Dollar Tree stores in Lehigh, Northampton and Monroe counties over an eight-month period.
Weatherspoon, 42, netted more than $14,000 from the burglaries which took place between Dec. 2012 and July 2013, police said.
According to court documents, Weatherspoon was involved in the eight crimes listed:
- Dec. 21, 2012: Approximately $3,058 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 701 Hanover Avenue, Allentown
- Jan. 26, 2013: Approximately $3,581 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 2499 Northampton St, Easton
- April 9, 2013: Approximately $2,082 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 2124 W. Union Blvd, Bethlehem
- April 25, 2013: The front glass was broken at the Dollar Tree at 811 Male Road, Wind Gap, in an attempted burglary
- May 28, 2013: Approximately $2,082 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 2180 MacArthur Road, Whitehall Township
- June 24, 2013: Approximately $1,000 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 1116 N. 9th St., Stroudsburg
- July 2, 2013: The front door was pried open at the Dollar Tree at 200 S. Best Ave., Walnutport, in an attempted burglary
- July 5, 2013: Approximately $980 stolen from the Dollar Tree at 1854 Stefko Blvd, Bethlehem
During police interviews, Weatherspoon admitted he committed the crimes.
In addition to serving jail time, the court has ordered Weatherspoon to pay restitution to Dollar Tree.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Ambush suspect ID'd, considered armed, 'extremely dangerous'
School district cancels classes in wake of police shooter identification
Teacher accused of having sex with 14-year-old student
2-vehicle accident sparks 'major' gas leak in Reading
Pa. Senate committee approves property tax reform bill
Women rush to struck jogger's aid in Lower Macungie
PSP to shooter: 'You are a coward;' reward upped to $75,000
Woman's family blames alcoholism, not suspect, in wife's death
Lehigh County man charged in quadruple Florida murders
Suspect's neighbors stunned upon learning of accusation