Allentown
75° F
Clear
Clear

Red Cross helps families pick up the pieces following Bethlehem apartment building fire

By 69 News, (follow: @69news), news@wfmz.com
Published On: Jul 09 2014 09:00:40 AM CDT
Updated On: Jul 09 2014 09:24:32 AM CDT
Fire scene - generic
BETHLEHEM, Pa. -

The American Red Cross has come to the assistance of two families victimized by an apartment building fire in Bethlehem.

The fire started shortly after 3 p.m. Tuesday in a three-unit apartment building in the 600 block of Williams Street. Officials say the fire was accidentally caused by a candle in a second floor bedroom. Two people were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation.

The fire displaced two families -- one family of an adult and one child and another family of two adults and three children.

The American Red Cross of the Greater Lehigh Valley says it's helping out the families with lodging, food, clothing, comfort kits and other services.

There's no word on if or when the families would be allowed to return to their apartments.