46° F

Victim in Polk Twp. fire identified

Published On: May 14 2014 10:59:46 AM EDT   Updated On: May 14 2014 08:24:04 PM EDT

Man dead after fire in Monroe County

POLK TWP., Pa. -

A 69-year-old man died in his home when it caught fire in Monroe County on Tuesday night.

William Berry died at the scene of smoke inhalation, said the coroner, Bob Allen.

The fire broke out around 8:15 p.m. in a home Berry shared with his wife and granddaughter at 1287 Mountain Rd. in Polk Township, officials said.


Berry's wife, Barbara, sustained a minor injury, according to police.

Berry had health problems and likely had trouble getting out of the smoky house, said Allen, who noted the cause to be a grease fire in the kitchen.

State police in Lehighton are investigating the fire.

Police believe the fire was accidentally started by food cooking on a stove left unattended for a short period of time.

Barbara Berry and another women, Kalonni Dennis, were able to escape the home, but her husband became entrapped in a bedroom. EMS personnel attempted to revive William Berry after pulling him from the home. He was pronounced dead at the scene.