Allentown
36° F
Overcast
Overcast

Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

By 69 News, follow: @69news, news@wfmz.com
Published On: Jan 20 2014 05:31:07 AM CST
Updated On: Jan 20 2014 02:24:46 PM CST

Man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning

ST. CLAIR, Pa. -

A 56-year-old man died of carbon monoxide fumes at his Schuylkill County home early Sunday.

Firefighters were called to a home in the 400 block of South Second Street in St. Clair around 8 a.m.

Officials said carbon monoxide was to blame for the death of Charles Gately.

Fifty-two-year-old Suzanne Walkusky, who resided in the home with Gately, was taken to Schuylkill Medical Center South. Sgt, William Dempsey of theĀ  Saint Clair police department was not sure if Walkusky is still at that hospital or was transferred.

A cat also died in the incident.

The investigation is ongoing, but officials believe a block in the venting system for a coal stove in the home was the source of the carbon monoxide.

Dempsy saids multiple readings were taken in the home and all of them were "very excessive"-- well above what they should have been.