Allentown
27° F
Clear
Clear

9 people sent to hospital after carbon monoxide leak found in Tamaqua

By Nancy Dougherty, WFMZ.com Reporter, NDougherty@wfmz.com
Published On: Nov 07 2012 12:30:05 PM CST
Updated On: Nov 07 2012 01:12:57 PM CST

Nine people were evacuated from the 300 block of West Broad Street in Tamaqua Wednesday due to a carbon monoxide leak.

TAMAQUA, Pa. -

A carbon monoxide leak in an apartment building sent nine people to the hospital in Tamaqua, Schuylkill Co., on Wednesday.

Officials said a malfunctioning gas-powered steam unit was leaking carbon monoxide in a building in the 300 blcok of West Broad Street.

Three ambulances responded and took six adults and three toddlers to St. Luke's Miners Hospital in Coaldale.

Officials said two of the victims were pregnant, and all were suffering from nauseau, vomiting and headaches.

Tamaqua Fire Chief Thomas Hartz said all steam units were shut down and all buildings were evacuated and ventilated.

A technician was expected to repair and inspect the steam units.