Allentown
72° F
Overcast
Overcast

Perkins fire started in wiring to neon lights, officials say

By 69 News, (follow: @69news), news@wfmz.com
Published On: Mar 31 2014 11:42:16 AM CDT
Updated On: Mar 31 2014 01:33:22 PM CDT
WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. -

A spectacular fire at a restaurant in Lehigh County was electrical in nature, fire officials said.

The fire broke out around 5:30 p.m. Sunday inside the Perkins restaurant at 1450 MacArthur Rd. in Whitehall Twp.

Whitehall fire Chief Robert Benner said Monday the investigation was completed.

Benner said the fire started in the wiring in the ceiling which runs to the building facade and powers the neon lights.

Damage to the building was estimated at $50,000.

All five employees and 12 guests were able to get out of the burning building uninjured, according to Vivian Brooks, a Perkins spokeswoman.

The restaurant will be closed for a least a few weeks.