Pennsylvania housing authorities awarded grants for improvements
Housing authorities across Pennsylvania will share more than $117 million in grants awarded Friday by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The money will be used to build, repair, renovate and/or modernize public housing, officials said.
"Housing authorities in Pennsylvania count on this funding to maintain and improve their public housing for families, especially the most vulnerable – our seniors," said Jane C.W. Vincent, HUD’s regional administrator of the mid-Atlantic region. "HUD is currently taking bold steps to preserve this affordable housing."
The grants include:
- Allentown Housing Authority: $1,834,517;
- Berks County Housing Authority: $237,346;
- Bethlehem Housing Authority: $1,958,457;
- Bucks County Housing Authority: $561,739;
- Carbon County Housing Authority: $143,319;
- Chester County Housing Authority: $325,889;
- Easton Housing Authority: $662,077;
- Lehigh County Housing Authority: $255,492;
- Monroe County Housing Authority: $356,999;
- Northampton County Housing Authority: $96,682;
- Pottsville Housing Authority: $557,296;
- Reading Housing Authority: $1,866,196;
- Schuylkill County Housing Authority: $703,306
The money is distributed using a formula that considers number, type and age of units in a community, officials said.
"This funding is critical for housing authorities to maintain and improve public housing conditions for their residents," said Shaun Donovan. "However, with a significant repair backlog, I am encouraged by new, innovative long-term solutions HUD is exploring that can be combined with this funding to not only protect and preserve this housing for the next generation, but to also build the quality infrastructure necessary for families to thrive."
The grants are provided through HUD's Capital Fund Program.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Berks man charged in theft of millions in public money
Woman killed, 2 others injured in crash that closed Pa. Turnpike
Berks man dies in accident after hitting tree, overturning vehicle
Deadly pedestrian accident investigated as hit-and-run, police say
Phillipsburg band teacher arrested, charged for taping student
Womelsdorf man struck, killed trying to cross Route 422
Allentown teacher dies in motorcycle accident
Mom charged in case of baby found in trash bag
PPL proposes new 725-mile regional transmission line
Life Lessons: Fatal foods for Fido