Pennsylvania housing authorities awarded grants for improvements
Housing authorities across Pennsylvania will share more than $117 million in grants awarded Friday by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The money will be used to build, repair, renovate and/or modernize public housing, officials said.
"Housing authorities in Pennsylvania count on this funding to maintain and improve their public housing for families, especially the most vulnerable – our seniors," said Jane C.W. Vincent, HUD’s regional administrator of the mid-Atlantic region. "HUD is currently taking bold steps to preserve this affordable housing."
The grants include:
- Allentown Housing Authority: $1,834,517;
- Berks County Housing Authority: $237,346;
- Bethlehem Housing Authority: $1,958,457;
- Bucks County Housing Authority: $561,739;
- Carbon County Housing Authority: $143,319;
- Chester County Housing Authority: $325,889;
- Easton Housing Authority: $662,077;
- Lehigh County Housing Authority: $255,492;
- Monroe County Housing Authority: $356,999;
- Northampton County Housing Authority: $96,682;
- Pottsville Housing Authority: $557,296;
- Reading Housing Authority: $1,866,196;
- Schuylkill County Housing Authority: $703,306
The money is distributed using a formula that considers number, type and age of units in a community, officials said.
"This funding is critical for housing authorities to maintain and improve public housing conditions for their residents," said Shaun Donovan. "However, with a significant repair backlog, I am encouraged by new, innovative long-term solutions HUD is exploring that can be combined with this funding to not only protect and preserve this housing for the next generation, but to also build the quality infrastructure necessary for families to thrive."
The grants are provided through HUD's Capital Fund Program.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police: Eric Frein spotted, explosives found
State trooper dies after accidental shooting during training
Gnat invasion bugging many residents
New details emerge about teacher's aide accused of driving rampage
Man killed in Northampton Co. motorcycle crash
Search for Eric Frein remains a dangerous operation
Game Commission bans hunting in manhunt search area
Search for Eric Frein focuses along Rt. 447 in Monroe County
Life Lessons: 5 bizarre weight loss tricks
School bus driver cited for careless driving following crash