Pennsylvania Attorney General sues Montgomery County businesses
Updated On: May 21 2014 02:08:43 PM CDT
The Pennsylvania Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection has filed a lawsuit against several home improvement businesses in Montgomery County, according to Attorney General Kathleen Kane.
The lawsuit names Admiral Kitchens LLC; JKMS Enterprises LLC; Renovay LLC; and Kenneth R. Staiger, individually.
The lawsuit alleges that the defendants entered into contracts with consumers to perform kitchen and bathroom renovations in consumers' homes, but failed to perform the work or performed the work in a substandard manner.
Kane said the defendants made promises and assurances to consumers that their complaints regarding deficient or incomplete work would be satisfied and the issues would be remedied, and then failed to remedy the issues or provide refunds to consumers.
Specifically, the defendants failed to: respond to consumer complaints and refund requests; provide refunds to consumers; repair unsatisfactory and/or deficient work; honor warranties and guarantees; and provide the required Notice of Cancellation form with their contracts; all of which are in violation of the Consumer Protection Law and the Home Improvement Consumer Protection Act (HICPA), according to Kane.
The complaint requests that the court order the defendants to:
• Pay civil penalties of $1,000 for each violation of the Consumer Protection Law and $3,000 for each violation involving a consumer age 60 or older,
• Permanently refrain from any practices that violate the Consumer Protection Law, HICPA or other applicable state laws;
• Comply with the Notice of Cancellation and right-to-cancel provisions of the Consumer Protection Law and HICPA;
• Pay restitution to all consumers who have suffered losses as a result of the defendants' conduct; and
• Permanently refrain from doing business involving home improvements in the Commonwealth.
Consumers who believe they were victimized by these or other companies can file a complaint with the Bureau of Consumer Protection by calling 1-800-441-2555 or submitting an online complaint.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
1 dead, several injured after head-on crash on Route 100
Carjacked SUV hits crowd in Philadelphia; 3 children killed
Vehicles carrying HS football players involved in rollover accident
Woman thrown from car, dies in crash in Milford
Driver charged with DUI in crash that killed East Penn CEO
DA: Doctor fired back at hospital gunman; caseworker killed
Popular Lehigh Valley band steps in for Musikfest's opening night
2 dead, 36 hurt by tornado at campground
Man thrown from bucket truck in crash
What's the deal with Route 309 construction in South Whitehall?