Pennsylvania housing authorities awarded grants for improvements
Housing authorities across Pennsylvania will share more than $117 million in grants awarded Friday by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The money will be used to build, repair, renovate and/or modernize public housing, officials said.
"Housing authorities in Pennsylvania count on this funding to maintain and improve their public housing for families, especially the most vulnerable – our seniors," said Jane C.W. Vincent, HUD’s regional administrator of the mid-Atlantic region. "HUD is currently taking bold steps to preserve this affordable housing."
The grants include:
- Allentown Housing Authority: $1,834,517;
- Berks County Housing Authority: $237,346;
- Bethlehem Housing Authority: $1,958,457;
- Bucks County Housing Authority: $561,739;
- Carbon County Housing Authority: $143,319;
- Chester County Housing Authority: $325,889;
- Easton Housing Authority: $662,077;
- Lehigh County Housing Authority: $255,492;
- Monroe County Housing Authority: $356,999;
- Northampton County Housing Authority: $96,682;
- Pottsville Housing Authority: $557,296;
- Reading Housing Authority: $1,866,196;
- Schuylkill County Housing Authority: $703,306
The money is distributed using a formula that considers number, type and age of units in a community, officials said.
"This funding is critical for housing authorities to maintain and improve public housing conditions for their residents," said Shaun Donovan. "However, with a significant repair backlog, I am encouraged by new, innovative long-term solutions HUD is exploring that can be combined with this funding to not only protect and preserve this housing for the next generation, but to also build the quality infrastructure necessary for families to thrive."
The grants are provided through HUD's Capital Fund Program.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Wilson man dead after chase, police-involved shooting
Foul language may stop plans to rename ASD field for Andre Reed
Police: Deaths of 2 men inside car a murder-suicide
Tractor trailer accident stops traffic on Route 422
Deadly shooting shatters quiet at Washington school
Police: Man provides false information about Eric Frein
Thousands of dollars raised for man repeatedly mistaken for Eric Frein
Restaurant owners distraught over plans to condemn property
Family makes plea for help to save their puppy
Did Eric Frein drive away?