The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says Superstorm Sandy beach rebuilding efforts will continue even if the federal government shuts down Tuesday.
Corps spokesman Ed Voigt says dredging and dune rebuilding projects are already funded and the contractors will keep working.
Voigt says the federal employees who oversee the contracts are considered essential and won't be told to stay home if the government closes.
Voigt says there is enough funding in place to continue work for months.
The Corps and its contractors are working this year on fixing beaches damaged by Sandy last year. The plan is to build new dunes in many areas starting in 2014.