Musikfest ready to rock Bethlehem for 30th year
Updated On: Aug 01 2013 04:27:17 PM CDT
For the 30th year, the sounds of Musikfest will be ringing through Bethlehem.
"It's an experience unlike any other," said Mark Demko, ArtsQuest. "Probably few places you can go in the nation to experience this much music over such a short period of time."
Musikfest began in the summer of 1984 as a way to attract more people to Bethlehem.
"There were six stages and about 150,000 to 180,000 people who came out that first year," Demko said.
Three decades later, 340 performers and nearly one million people pack the streets of Bethlehem.
It hasn't always been easy as Mother Nature has, in some years, turned out not to be a music fan.
"When had flooding a couple of years ago, the community really rallied around us. Had 2,000 people who donated to save songs campaign," Demko said.
While flooding drowned the festival on more than one occasion, it hasn't been enough to suppress the sound. Last year, headlining acts moved to the brand new ArtsQuest SteelStacks site. Through the years, the message has remained the same -- presenting the music.
This year, street performers have been added to the SteelStacks site.
An auction will be held on the festivals final day. Included is a grand piano signed by more than 50 artists, including Ray Charles, Huey Lewis and Rosemary Clooney.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
2 Lynn women killed in accident on Kings Highway
Man says police have often mistaken him for Eric Frein
Vacation turns to tragedy when 3-year-old girl is killed
Canada PM: Soldier slain 'in cold blood'
Divers go underwater to map submerged trains
Bucks County man killed in crash on I-78 East in Upper Saucon
Police: Man posing as concert promoter targets retirement community
Boy, 16, charged with attempted homicide in stabbing
Inferno damage at least $12M; collapse potential examined
AIDS activist killed in crash remembered as inspiration to others