Allentown
77° F
Clear
Clear

Man injured in flash fire at nursing home

By Randy Kraft, WFMZ.com Reporter, RKraft@wfmz.com
Published On: Jul 31 2013 07:09:08 PM CDT
Ambulance
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, PA. -

An unidentified 70-year-old man suffered burns Tuesday afternoon in Slate Belt Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 701 Slate Belt Blvd. near Bangor, Northampton County.

At 4:45 p.m., firefighters responded to a report of an oxygen tank explosion at the nursing home. They found no evidence of an explosion, reported Rick Weaver, Washington Township fire marshal, but  they  did find a resident  suffering from burns.

Cigarettes and matches also found in the resident's unit.  Weaver said the man  apparently lit a cigarette near his oxygen generator, causing a flash fire. There was no damage to the structure,  said Weaver, but burns were on the bed sheets and some equipment was melted in the man's unit.

The male was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital/Cedar Crest for treatment of burns to his hands, arms and face.