The Pennsylvania Departments of Agriculture and Health are warning consumers to discard raw milk which may contain dangerous bacteria.
The Departments said Wednesday that raw milk sold under The Family Cow label in plastic gallon, half-gallon, quart and pint containers should be discarded. Officials said five cases of Campylobacter infection were confirmed in people who consumed milk at the Family Cow farm where the milk is produced in Chambersburg, Franklin County. Authorities said they collected samples of the milk on May 17th.
The Departments said that the milk is sold directly to consumers at the farm's retail store, along with drop off locations and retail outlets in the Lehigh Valley, south-central Pennsylvania, and the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas.
In a news release, the Departments said Campylobacter bacteria affect the intestinal tract and sometimes the bloodstream and other organs. Symptoms include diarrhea and vomiting. Authorities said illness usually occurs two to five days after ingesting the bacteria.
More information on Campylobacter bacteria can be found on the Pennsylvania Department of Health's website.