Borough of Nazareth Mayor Carl Styre Jr. noted there would be an “open door” with the borough’s police chief in selecting the new part-time police officers during a borough council workshop meeting held Thursday night.
The borough is seeking applications to hire two part-time officers in an effort to rebuild their police force after their bid to contract services through the Colonial Regional Police Department were denied by the Lower Nazareth Township Board of Supervisors at their June 12th meeting.
Council President Daniel Chiavaroli noted the borough had already received applicants for the positions.
Styre Jr. also noted that the borough may need to hold “special meetings” regarding the “push” to hire the part-time officers in the next three months.
“Some things we just can’t wait 30 days (to the monthly meeting) on,” Styre Jr. said.
In other workshop matters Thursday night, council members sought clarity on the candidacy of Lance Colanado who won a write in vote for borough council during the May 21st primary. In dispute is whether his residency is in actually in the borough’s Second Ward, which is the ward he is seeking to represent.
“We’re thinking it’s one, the county is thinking it’s another,” said Styre Jr. on Thursday night.
Borough council members discussed the matter and sought legal clarification on the following issue: Whether a candidate has to live in the borough for at least one year prior to running for office, or does a candidate have to reside for one year in the ward he or she wishes to represent. The matter was relevant because Colanado has not lived in Second Ward for one year, according Styre Jr. at Thursday night’s workshop meeting between council members.
Borough Solicitor Al Piece clarified that a candidate must live in the ward he or she is nominated and must be registered for one full year.
In other business Thursday night, James Collins was named the borough’s Office of Emergency Management Coordinator, according to Council President Daniel Chiavaroli, who read from a letter written to the borough from the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency. The letter Chiavaroli read also noted that Gov. Thomas Corbett is expected to sign off on the move shortly.
Collins replaces Michael Rinker. The move is expected to be made official by council Monday night at their regularly scheduled meeting.