Cold weather may have claimed 71-year-old man's life
Updated On: Jan 26 2013 05:42:54 AM CST
In the dead of winter smoke from a chimney can be a signal of survival.
"You burn wood right? Always burn wood no matter what," Johnny Andrade said.
But earlier this week when Johnny Andrade didn't see smoke from the home of Walter Elwine, 71, his Mount Pocono, Monroe County neighbor he knew something was wrong.
"I say man I hope he didn't pass away," he told us.
Walter was pronounced dead at 6:20 Thursday night. The coroner said the man who had a litany of health problems had been dead for two days.
Walter lived alone. The coroner believes he was on his couch and because of a medical condition couldn't get up to stoke the fire. Since he lived alone no one could do it for him.
The coroner said Walter's death was a combination of natural causes and being in the cold but is awaiting an official stance until toxicology reports come in.
Neighbor Jackie Possinger says she checks on Walter often, the two both love Johnny Cash, she just didn't check this week.
"I wish I would have checked on him or someone would have checked on him. He's right there. My husband always checked on him but he didn't check on him yesterday," Jackie said.
Police say Walter was found by his son, after receiving a call from Andrade. Andrade and his wife, Maria, would often bring Walter food on the holidays. Unfortunately there wasn't a holiday this week.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Fire destroys pizza shop on Main Street in Nazareth
Texas man charged in shooting death of Lower Macungie man
Teacher's aide charged in alleged driving rampage near school
Blood-covered suspect arrested in shooting of man in Reading
Nurse refuses Ebola quarantine
Babysitter charged with attempting to murder child in her care
Suicidal teen reported missing
Humane Society puts out urgent plea for donations
Possible sighting of Eric Frein reported in Poconos
Detectives: Tips uncover drug-baking operation in Shoemakersville