Allentown
32° F
Overcast
Overcast

Candle starts mattress fire in Allentown apartment

Published On: Jan 07 2013 09:45:59 AM CST
Updated On: Jan 07 2013 10:50:38 AM CST
Mattress fire at Regency Apts in Allentown
ALLENTOWN, Pa. -

One man was burned after a candle ignited his mattress, police said.

The fire started around 8:45 a.m. Monday at the Regency Apartments at 1600 Lehigh Parkway South in Allentown.

According to fire officials, the fire started in a bedroom as a blanket was too close to a burning candle. The blanket caught fire and spread to the mattress and boxspring.

A 19-year-old man suffered burns to his side, lower back and one arm, officials said.

He was taken to the hospital for treatment of burns.

No other fire or smoke damage was reported.