Teen finds worm in McMuffin
Updated On: May 24 2013 10:01:11 AM CDT
A high school student in Arizona claims McDonald's served him a "McWormwich."
Derrick Holt says he bit into a worm while eating a Sausage McMuffin at a McDonald's in Buckeye, Ariz., earlier this month.
"I looked down at my food and saw something that looked like a vein of fat and so I pulled on it and just kept coming and coming out and then it snapped into my finger and then there was half of a worm," he told Phoenix TV station KPNX.
Holt went back to the McDonald's to complain, but told USA Today the manager didn't believe him and actually confiscated the object.
"I was like I think it's a worm, and he goes oh no, no. He looks at it, picks it up, he's like that's just a bone," Holt told KPNX. "He says that happens all the time in our patties, in our hamburgers, in our chicken nuggets especially."
The teen had managed to snap a photo of the worm and posted the picture to social media, catching the attention of national news organizations -- and McDonald's corporate headquarters.
Soon after that, a McDonald's corporate employee reached out to Holt, telling him the incident was under investigation and offering him some free meal tickets.
But Holt told KPNX he won't be visiting the Golden Arches again anytime soon.
Since taking that bite, he's been diagnosed with gastroenteritis, a type of stomach virus. Holt is currently being tested for parasites and will remain out of school until his symptoms clear up, according to The Huffington Post.
Berks man charged in theft of millions in public money
Woman killed, 2 others injured in crash that closed Pa. Turnpike
Berks man dies in accident after hitting tree, overturning vehicle
Deadly pedestrian accident investigated as hit-and-run, police say
Phillipsburg band teacher arrested, charged for taping student
Womelsdorf man struck, killed trying to cross Route 422
Allentown teacher dies in motorcycle accident
Mom charged in case of baby found in trash bag
PPL proposes new 725-mile regional transmission line
Life Lessons: Fatal foods for Fido