If you're a fan of Greek food -- Friday's chef segment was for you! If you're not, give it a try anyway, the folks at Yianni's Taverna in Bethlehem cooked up some amazing dishes for the staff of 69 News.
Greek Easter Bread
1 oz fresh yeast
1/2 cup warm milk
6 cups strong white bread flour
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp brandy
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg white, beaten
1. Crumble yeast into a bowl. Mix with 1-2 tbsp warm water, until softened. Add milk and 1 cup flour and mix to a creamy consistency. Cover with a cloth, and leave in a warn place to rise for 1 hour.
2. Sift remaining flour into large bowl and make a well in the center. Pour the risen yeast into the well, and draw in a little flour from the sides. Add the eggs, caraway seeds, sugar, and brandy. Incorporate the remaining flour, until the mixture begins to form dough.
3. Mix in the melted butter. Turn on to a floured surface, and knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth. Return to bowl, and cover with a cloth. Leave in a warm place to rise for 3 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Punch the dough and knead on a floured surface for a minute or two. Divide into three, and roll each piece into a long sausage. Wrap the three pieces together into a braid.
5. Place the loaf on a greased baking sheet. Brush with the egg white.
6. Bake for about 1 hour, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Stuffing for French toast
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup fresh blueberries
How to make it the blueberry sauce for 10 orders:
We will use 320 grams of blueberry , 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of water, 2 oz of butter, a teaspoon of corn starch .
Boil water with sugar for about 10 minutes , after you see it is boiling, you will put butter, corn starch, mix all together, and then add the blueberries
Homemade bread -- dip in a mix of milk, eggs and cinnamon, then you cook on a flat surface, put cream cheese mix with sugar .
Sautee the bananas with the brandy and ginger. topped with the homemade blueberry sauce
Lunch Vegetable Sandwich
1/2 cup of Kasseri cheese
6 thin slices of zucchini
6 thin slices of egg plant
6 thin slices of roasted pepper
HOW TO MAKE THE PESTO
4 pieces of basil
1 clove of garlic
salt and pepper
1 teaspoon of Parmesan cheese
3 oz of Greek virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon of almonds
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
mix all together on a pan
HOW TO FINISH THE SANDWICH
Melt the cheese for 5 minutes at 450 degrees , grill the pita bread with the Greek virgin olive oil, then you stock the zucchini, egg plant and roasted peppers
1 tbsp of oregano
1 oz of salt
1 oz of pepper
2 bay leaves
2 cups of olives
2 cups of cubed feta cheese
5lbs Lamb Shoulder
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves
1. Place Shallots in the parchment paper. Place the lamb shoulder on top of the shallots.
2. Slice slits into the lamb shoulder and stuff with the garlic. Rub the oregano, salt, and pepper into the meat. Place the bay leaves on top and the olives.
3. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice over the lamb.
4. Wrap the parchment paper up and around, so everything stays together and does not leak out.
5. Cook for 5 hours at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.