Sunrise Chef: Allentown Fair
The Allentown Fair is more than a month away but registration to compete in the Fair's cooking and baking is fast approaching. Come of the competition you could compete against, if you enter, joined 69 News at Sunrise Friday to show us their skills.
Heidi Givler's recipes
EASY PEANUT BUTTER BARS WITH GOLD MEDAL FLOUR
1 3/4 cups Gold Medal all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk 1 egg
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Spray the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Mix flour, brown sugar, peanut butter, butter, milk, egg, vanilla extract, salt, and baking soda together in a bowl. Fold chocolate chips into the batter. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish.
3. Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 20 minutes.
2 c. raisins
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. water
Cook together slowly until thickened. Add vanilla and nuts if desired. Thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
Hearty Sweet Chili and Potatoes
1 lb. Lean ground beef
6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 cup Local red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon
3 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 Vidalia onion finely chopped
1 sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1 orange pepper, finely chopped
1 yellow sweet pepper, finely chopped
1 mild green peppers, finely chopped
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled & chopped into cubes
1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes
2 (15 oz. ) light red kidney beans, drained
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 (15 oz.) Light red kidney beans, crushed
1 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 cup mild or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Put ground beef and chopped bacon in a large Ziploc bag with the red wine and mix well, let set aside about 15 minutes to overnight to marinate.
2. In the meantime, put the onion, celery, peppers and cook in a 6 quart Dutch oven on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally so vegetables won’t stick, after 15 minutes, add the meats, and cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly and until meats are brown.
3. Add tomatoes, sauce, diced potatoes, kidney beans, and brown sugar, salt and pepper and simmer on medium-low for another 45 minutes, until all vegetables are soft.
4. Serve in bowls and add cheese.
Ready to serve after the cheese melts.
Roasted Corn Bread Cups
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1 egg
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 cup milk
• 1/2 cup roasted corn kernels (roast a cob of corn about 20 minutes in oven or grill)
• In a small bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, honey and salt.
• Combine the flour, cornmeal and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Fold in the roasted corn.
• Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
DA: Autopsy shows Stone didn't die from stab wound
Manhunt over; killing spree suspect found dead in woods
3 young men killed in Northampton County accident
2nd suspect arrested in murder of elementary teacher
Trucker ordered to trial in deadly crash on Route 222
Lancaster teacher killed in botched burglary
Three planning commissions discuss 218-home development
10 charged in PennDOT overbilling, kickback probe
Warren County Tech students sent home after bomb threat
Boy, 16, charged in death of elementary school teacher