Allentown
34° F
Clear
Clear
 

Firefighters battle blaze in Reading

By 69 News, follow: @69news, news@wfmz.com
Liz Kilmer, Reporter, LKilmer@wfmz.com
Published On: May 06 2014 11:03:03 AM CDT
Updated On: May 06 2014 06:11:24 PM CDT

Firefighters have gotten control of a fire that heavily damaged at least one home in Reading.

READING, Pa. -

Firefighters have gotten control of a fire that heavily damaged at least one home in Reading.

Crews were dispatched shortly before noon Tuesday to the 200 block of North Second Street, near the GoggleWorks.

Multiple 911 calls from the block reported flames shooting from the second floor windows of a home, sending a tall plume of thick, black smoke high into the air.

The first firefighters arrived on the scene to find that the flames had spread to the third floor. Suburban companies were put on standby to respond to the scene, if needed.

In the end, city crews needed only about 20 minutes to get the fire under control and prevent it from spreading to neighboring homes.

"Crews did a real good job opening up the roof to try to contain it to the fire building, to keep a vertical channel," said Gary Mogel, Reading's acting fire chief.

The homeowner's daughter, Aileen Diaz-Morales, told 69 News that her father and aunt were both inside when the fire broke out.

"She had gone upstairs, she smelled something, she opened the door and the smoke hit her, so she ran and told him and he said when he came from the kitchen it check, it was on fire," said Diaz-Morales.

Diaz-Morales said the home has been in her family for generations. She and other relatives stood by and watched as flames consumed the home.

"It's very heartbreaking to see it," said Delsie Nava, a cousin. "They're too many memories there," she said.

There were no reports of serious injuries, however, one firefighter was transported to a hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion, officials said.

Investigators have not yet determined how the fire started, but the family that lives in the home told 69 News that an unattended candle may be to blame.

Gallery