Firefighters battle blaze in Reading
Updated On: May 06 2014 06:11:24 PM CDT
Firefighters have gotten control of a fire that heavily damaged at least one home in Reading.
Crews were dispatched shortly before noon Tuesday to the 200 block of North Second Street, near the GoggleWorks.
Multiple 911 calls from the block reported flames shooting from the second floor windows of a home, sending a tall plume of thick, black smoke high into the air.
The first firefighters arrived on the scene to find that the flames had spread to the third floor. Suburban companies were put on standby to respond to the scene, if needed.
In the end, city crews needed only about 20 minutes to get the fire under control and prevent it from spreading to neighboring homes.
"Crews did a real good job opening up the roof to try to contain it to the fire building, to keep a vertical channel," said Gary Mogel, Reading's acting fire chief.
The homeowner's daughter, Aileen Diaz-Morales, told 69 News that her father and aunt were both inside when the fire broke out.
"She had gone upstairs, she smelled something, she opened the door and the smoke hit her, so she ran and told him and he said when he came from the kitchen it check, it was on fire," said Diaz-Morales.
Diaz-Morales said the home has been in her family for generations. She and other relatives stood by and watched as flames consumed the home.
"It's very heartbreaking to see it," said Delsie Nava, a cousin. "They're too many memories there," she said.
There were no reports of serious injuries, however, one firefighter was transported to a hospital for treatment of heat exhaustion, officials said.
Investigators have not yet determined how the fire started, but the family that lives in the home told 69 News that an unattended candle may be to blame.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Lehigh County man dies after vehicle crashes into tractor trailer
Farm animals gunned down; police investigate
For now, school plans to reopen Monday amid possible Eric Frein sighting
Marijuana advocates smoke pot in front of NJ Statehouse
Allentown police: Apparent argument over spitting leads to shooting
Freezing weather expected overnight
Ebola scare temporarily closes Hackettstown pharmacy
Federal agency assisting with Reading outlet building fire investigation
Frein may have been sighted in Pa. woods
Suspected Frein sighting won't close Pocono Mountain schools