Do fitness balls help tone abs?
A fitness ball can be a great tool for toning your abdominal muscles (abs), as well as other core muscles.
Fitness balls — also known as stability balls — come in various sizes. Choose a fitness ball that allows your knees to be at a right angle when you sit on the ball with your feet flat on the floor.
To tone your abdominal muscles using a fitness ball, try the abdominal crunch:
- Sit on the fitness ball with your feet resting on the floor, about hip-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, cross your arms on your chest and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Lean back until you feel your abdominal muscles further tighten.
- Hold for three deep breaths.
- Return to the start position and repeat.
Start with up to five repetitions, as long as you're able to maintain good form. Over time, as you strengthen your abs and core muscles, gradually increase to 10 to 15 repetitions on the fitness ball. Remember to breathe freely and deeply while using the fitness ball.
-- Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Police: Eric Frein spotted, explosives found
State trooper dies after accidental shooting during training
Gnat invasion bugging many residents
Man killed in Northampton Co. motorcycle crash
New details emerge about teacher's aide accused of driving rampage
Search for Eric Frein focuses along Rt. 447 in Monroe County
School bus driver cited for careless driving following crash
Search for Eric Frein remains a dangerous operation
First diagnosed case of Ebola in the US
Reading duo walk off with stolen ATM in trash can