Do fitness balls help tone abs?
A fitness ball can be a great tool for toning your abdominal muscles (abs), as well as other core muscles.
Fitness balls — also known as stability balls — come in various sizes. Choose a fitness ball that allows your knees to be at a right angle when you sit on the ball with your feet flat on the floor.
To tone your abdominal muscles using a fitness ball, try the abdominal crunch:
- Sit on the fitness ball with your feet resting on the floor, about hip-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, cross your arms on your chest and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Lean back until you feel your abdominal muscles further tighten.
- Hold for three deep breaths.
- Return to the start position and repeat.
Start with up to five repetitions, as long as you're able to maintain good form. Over time, as you strengthen your abs and core muscles, gradually increase to 10 to 15 repetitions on the fitness ball. Remember to breathe freely and deeply while using the fitness ball.
-- Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Hershey unveils new logo
Man hit by car while walking along road in Berks County
Officials: Fire that destroyed HS football equipment suspicious
Man accused of killing wife pleads guilty
Walmart evacuated for possible gas leak
Body found in Allentown; death investigated as being 'suspicious'
Police: Child in critical condition after falling from window
Allentown woman was strangled; death a homicide, coroner says
Home Depot investigating 'massive' hack
Officials identify two killed in Carbon County crash