Do fitness balls help tone abs?
A fitness ball can be a great tool for toning your abdominal muscles (abs), as well as other core muscles.
Fitness balls — also known as stability balls — come in various sizes. Choose a fitness ball that allows your knees to be at a right angle when you sit on the ball with your feet flat on the floor.
To tone your abdominal muscles using a fitness ball, try the abdominal crunch:
- Sit on the fitness ball with your feet resting on the floor, about hip-width apart.
- Keeping your back straight, cross your arms on your chest and tighten your abdominal muscles.
- Lean back until you feel your abdominal muscles further tighten.
- Hold for three deep breaths.
- Return to the start position and repeat.
Start with up to five repetitions, as long as you're able to maintain good form. Over time, as you strengthen your abs and core muscles, gradually increase to 10 to 15 repetitions on the fitness ball. Remember to breathe freely and deeply while using the fitness ball.
-- Edward R. Laskowski, M.D.
Wind hampers efforts to fight 5-alarm fire at motel in Muhlenberg
BBQ truck hearing sizzles in N. Whitehall Twp.
RHS color guard instructor charged in child sex abuse case
Driver killed when car hits tree on Route 10 in Berks
Reading police officer charged in theft of money evidence
Man killed when hit by minivan near airport
South Mall in Lehigh County being sold
Red Cross sets up shelter for motel fire victims
Feds: Schuylkill County firm attempted to smuggle machinery to Iran
BBQ food truck in danger of being shut down by township