Harley Henning died in Lehigh Township fire
Updated On: Apr 26 2013 05:49:41 AM CDT
Investigators are looking at a chimney as the possible source of a fire that killed a man in Northampton County.
Firefighters were called around 11 p.m. Wednesday to 443 Washington Dr. in Lehigh Township, just outside Walnutport. They arrived to find a home already engulfed in flames.
"A whirl of fire at the top, just taking in the whole roof," said Rob McCulloch.
Harley Henning, a retired construction worker and grandfather of six, died in the fire, according to his family. He was the home's lone resident.
His death came as a shock to neighbor Catherine Green, who said she had just seen Harley, 65, that day at a nearby McDonald's.
"To me, anyway, he was a nice guy," Green said.
Harley was found in the upstairs bedroom, police said.
The focus of the investigation centers on the home's chimney, where police said flames were initially seen.
"Three over the winter where total losses and all three involved had wood burning or pellet stove, or fire place-type devices," said Chief Scott Fogel, Lehigh Twp. Police Dept.
For Harley's family, however, it's the result of the fire, not the cause, that hurts.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
3 children found locked in a car in Sands Casino parking lot
Woman rescued from car fire seeks person who saved her life
Former Hamburg teachers' aide guilty in student sex case
Student suspended for saying 'bless you' after sneeze
Showers, thunderstorms possible into early Friday
Firefighters make quick work of funeral home fire in Sinking Spring
After 24 years, man to be freed in Poconos arson case
Police: Man burglarized home, then set it on fire
Crash involving tractor trailer closes Route 309 in South Whitehall
7 alleged gang members charged with murder in deadly stabbing