Allentown
54° F
Light Rain
Light Rain
 

Child smelled smoke, got family out of burning home safely

By 69 News, follow: @69news, news@wfmz.com
Published On: Dec 24 2013 06:51:34 PM CST
Updated On: Dec 13 2013 06:23:41 AM CST

A family is left without a home Thursday after a devastating fire, but witnesses say it could have been much worse

ALLENTOWN, Pa. -

An alert child who smelled smoke, was able to alert the rest of the family to get safely out of their burning home early Thursday.

The fire was reported around 5 a.m. at a row home at 424 N Fourth St. in Allentown.

Fire officials said the blaze began on the second floor, which sustained significant fire and smoke damage.

There were no smoke detectors in the home, officials said, but one of the children smelled the fire.

The fire displaced a family of two adults and three children, aged 3, 5 and 8.

The fire marshall is investigating, but said it appears to be accidental.

The Red Cross provided the family food and lodging since they had no family in the area and no renter's insurance, officials said.