Woman rescued from Reading house fire
Updated On: Oct 08 2013 05:31:07 PM CDT
A Reading woman is fighting for her life after being rescued from her burning home early Monday morning.
Christine Reynolds-Kramer was last listed in critical condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown. Emergency crews got the call shortly before 2 a.m. to respond to a fire with entrapment at 718 Ritter St.
Reynolds-Kramer, 61, was trapped and unconscious when firefighters found her on the second floor of the home, officials said.
"We were just going berserk because I just wanted to get in there," said Margarita Pena, who sprung into action to try and save her neighbor.
Pena and another neighbor, Darryll Johnson, were met with heavy, dark smoke when they first opened Reynolds-Kramer's front door.
"We wanted to get in there to help her, but there was no way with that black smoke. We didn't know where she was at, it was a nightmare," said Pena.
Firefighters got control of the fire in about 40 minutes. Investigators said they have determined it was the result of unattended cooking in the kitchen.
Johnson first smelled the smoke on his way home from the store. He made it only a few steps inside before he was forced to turn around.
"It was too much smoke and it just came out and I didn't know what to do. I was coughing and couldn't see, my eyes were burning," Johnson said.
Johnson and Pena said Reynolds-Kramer threw objects down the stairs to let them know she was alive, and they told firefighters where she was.
Sadly, 17 cats, a dog and two birds were killed. Six other cats suffered smoke inhalation. They were treated at the scene with animal oxygen masks and are being cared for at the Animal Rescue League.
Now, Johnson and Pena are being called Batman and Robin. They wish they could have done more, but they were just happy Reynolds-Kramer, who works in the food services department for the Reading School District, was saved.
"She's our neighbor. She's good people and a very nice lady," said Pena.
The fire was ruled accidental, but there were no signs of any working smoke detectors, said fire officials.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Family desperate for answers in search for missing woman
City's "ugly" Christmas tree causes controversy
Family's home still stands as gaping sinkhole remains open in front yard
Lehigh County animal shelter in dire need of food donations
Reading parting ways with 'ugly' Christmas tree
Construction worker struck by vehicle on turnpike
Balloon release marks one-year since Holly Grim's disappearance
Local tragedy sheds light on drowsy-driving epidemic
Lafayette pounds Lehigh in 150th meeting, 27-7
WWII vet shoots wife, kills self, Allentown police say