68° F

'She was really sweet,' sister says of toddler killed in accident

Published On: Jul 22 2013 05:03:26 PM EDT   Updated On: Jul 22 2013 06:23:17 PM EDT

A family is trying to cope with a devastating loss after a 17-month-old girl died in a horrific accident.


A family is trying to cope with a devastating loss after a 17-month-old girl died in a horrific accident.

Evelyn Steinruck passed away at the hospital Sunday after she was run over by a car in Exeter Township, Berks Co.

"She was really sweet. She just learned to walk. She had one tooth, and she had curly hair," said McKenzie Steinruck, Evelyn's sister.


McKenzie said she couldn't sleep in her bedroom Sunday night because she shared it with her sister. McKenzie is haunted by unbearable pain seeing Evelyn's stuff and knowing she's gone.

"My sister came running off a ramp on the porch onto the driveway and they didn't see her and backed into her," she said.

The accident happened 7:30 p.m. Sunday at the Friends Meeting House in the 100 block of Meeting House Road.

According to police, Evelyn was playing outside with a group of kids when she was hit and trapped underneath the vehicle.

"We had been singing. We were at a hymn sing, and he came running in yelling, 'Stop! Stop! There's a kid under my car,'" said McKenzie. 

A group of worshipers picked up the car, and Evelyn's dad pulled her out and performed CPR. When first responders from Exeter and Amity townships arrived, they took over. The 17-month-old was flown to Reading Hospital, but she didn't make it. 

Her life may have been short, but she brought so much joy to her family.

"I always enjoyed spending time with her and playing with her as her grandparents," said Leon Weaver, Evelyn's grandfather.

Weaver said Evelyn loved to play outside and was always smiling. Her family lives in East Coventry Twp., Chester Co., but came to the meeting house to sing about once a month.

According to police, the driver was 32-year-old John Stokes from Oley Township.

An autopsy will not be performed because the case has been ruled an accident, said the Berks County coroner's office.