A fire early Tuesday morning could have had a much different outcome were it not for the efforts of firefighters.
The fire started shortly before 4 a.m. in the kitchen of a home in the 700 block of Fritztown Road in Spring Twp., Berks Co., said officials, adding that the home quickly filled with smoke.
Responding firefighters found a woman and her young son on the roof of a porch and brought them down to safety. Both were taken to a hospital for evaluation and later released.
The firefighters also managed to rescue 11 puppies from the burning home, officials said.
Investigators have not yet determined what sparked the fire.