One Berks County family is breathing a huge sigh of relief after hot lasagna fell on a 3-year-old girl's face.
"I never, ever experienced anything like this in my entire life. I was terrified. I was freaking out. I was crying so bad," said Zaneta Mason, the little girl's grandmother.
Mason said she was taking the lasagna out of the microwave while her 3-year-old granddaughter, Ariana, was with her in the kitchen at her home in the Hyde Park section of Muhlenberg Township. Mason said the lasagna fell through a paper plate.
"I grabbed the lasagna and went to put it down on the counter, and as I grabbed it and pulled it, it fell right straight down, right on top of her head and it slid down," said Mason, who also explained she hasn't been able to sleep since the accident.
Ariana was flown to the burn unit at Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown.
Mason said she was destroyed.
"I hurt her," Mason said. When asked if she could forgive herself, she said, "Absolutely not. And this is going to haunt me for a long, long time."
Mason said doctors told her Ariana will suffer only minimal scarring, if any, adding that she was scheduled to be released from the hospital on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Mason said she can't wait to see her granddaughter again.
"There are no words for that," Mason said. "I'm going to squeeze the death out of her. I know I'm going to burst out crying."