66° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

Community welcomes home Brandon Warbington; boy badly injured in 2011 accident

Published On: Jan 06 2013 07:00:00 PM EST   Updated On: Jan 07 2013 06:14:20 PM EST

A 6-year-old boy is still recovering from a disastrous crash, but now he's in the comfort of his own home.


A 6-year-old boy is still recovering from a disastrous crash, but now he's in the comfort of his own home.

It was a heartwarming homecoming for Brandon Warbington on Monday. Sixteen months after a horrific accident left Brandon paralyzed and partially brain dead, the boy was carried out of an ambulance and wheeled into his home in Upper Tulpehocken Twp., Berks Co.

"He's home. He's finally home," said Brandon's mom, Linda Warbington, as tears rolled down her cheeks.


On Sept. 1, 2011, Linda's family was forever changed. Through no fault of his own, Brandon was a victim of domestic violence. Linda said her former boyfriend became abusive and drove their car head-on into a truck on Route 70 in New Jersey.

The boyfriend passed away after the accident. Linda had seven broken ribs, and Brandon was left unresponsive.

69 News first told you about his story in Oct. 2012 during his recovery in a rehab facility. Hours after the report aired, Richard and Sheila Delp decided to help.

"He just needed to be home after everything he went through. He needed to be home," said Richard, who lives with his wife in Hamburg.

Richard and Sheila, complete strangers at the time, donated lumber to build a ramp for Brandon's chair onto his home.

Berks Fire Water Restorations Inc. built it. They also put in a door to his bedroom and enlarged door frames inside the house.

"The family has been through so much, and just him coming home, it's the best thing that could happen to this family right now," said Jim Folk, a family friend who has been working tirelessly to bring Brandon home.

Brandon can now rest easy in his own home, and his name will forever help families in a similar situation. Folk is establishing the non-profit organization, "Brandon's Angels."

On Monday, Richard and Sheila Delp handed Linda another surprise. They gave her a check for $600 to file the paperwork to start the non-profit.

Doctors told Linda her son would never move, never communicate. It has been a long road, but Brandon continues to defy the odds. He's moving, talking and is a crucial piece of his family.

"I thank everybody so much from the bottom of my heart. They brought my baby home," said Linda.

Now, the community has become one of "Brandon's Angels."