54° F
Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

69 News Week In Review

Published On: Nov 23 2013 03:32:33 PM EST

69 News Week in Review

It's time to take a look back at the stories making headlines this week in the 69 News Week In Review.

Monday, a Lebanon County minister who officiated at his son's same-sex wedding was found guilty of breaking church law during a United Methodist church trial that garnered national attention.

A jury of clergy members ruled Pastor Frank Schaefer broke his pastoral vows.

Schaefer, who pleaded not guilty to breaking his vows, was suspended for 30 days and ordered not to officiate at another same-sex wedding.


Schaefer refused to promise he wouldn't perform more gay unions in the future.

On Tuesday, a robbery created a frantic scene at a bank in Lehigh County.

Police said this man walked into the Bank of America on Main Street in Fogelsville and threatened to shoot if he didn't receive money.

Police said the man did not show a weapon, but they consider him armed and dangerous.

The suspect remains on the loose.

Wednesday, a man from Emmaus was charged in connection with the beating death of an elderly neighbor.

Police said 22-year-old Alexander Roscioli faces charges in involuntary manslaughter and aggravated assault in the death of 70-year-old John Sweeney Sr.

Officials said Sweeney was killed during a dispute between the neighbors back in August.

On Thursday, the mayor of Reading came under fire after authorities said his campaign finances were misused.

According to a report from the Berks County Board of Elections, Vaughn Spencer's campaign took a contribution from a union in Philadelphia and then funneled some of that money to candidates in Philly, in violation of campaign finance laws.

Spencer's attorney denied the allegations.

Friday, a fire gutted a section of row homes in Schuylkill County, sending three people to the hospital and forcing 10 out of their homes.

Officials said the fire started just before 4 p.m. in the 200 block of Schuylkill Avenue in Pottsville.

Four homes were completely destroyed and two other houses evacuated as crews fought the flames.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.