Smoke detectors may have saved the lives of some people inside a burning home in Berks County, officials said.
The detectors alerted four people inside 220 N. Reading Ave. in Boyertown to a fire in the home's basement, said officials, adding that everyone managed to make it out safely.
Emergency crews got the call around 8:30 a.m. Monday. The fire went to two alarms before firefighters could get it under control.
Nobody was injured, but a family of seven people has been displaced.
Investigators have not yet determined what started the fire, but they said the cause is accidental.