Berks County Area Agency on Aging offers safety tips as snow, frigid temperatures approach
Updated On: Dec 31 2013 12:57:59 PM CST
The new year will bring with it the chance for an accumulation of snow and single-digit temperatures.
- Dress in layers of loose-fitting, lightweight clothing, wear mittens and a hat (preferably one that covers your ears) when going outdoors.
- Wear waterproof, insulated boots to keep your feet warm and dry and to maintain your footing in ice and snow.
- When coming indoors after being outside, change immediately into layers of lightweight clothing.
- Stay indoors if at all possible. Only travel outside if absolutely necessary. Don’t drive anywhere if at all possible.
- Bring pets/companion animals inside during winter weather.
- Ask a friend, neighbor, etc. to help clean sidewalks or shovel snow.
- Wear layers of clothing indoors and if sedentary, cover with blankets.
- Running water, even at a trickle, helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Don’t heat your home by turning on the oven and propping the door open.
- Be prepared with a good supply of the following:
- water – at least a 3-day supply (one gallon per person per day)
- food – at least a 3-day supply of non-perishable, easy to prepare food (such as peanut butter, bread, tuna, soup)
- flashlight and extra batteries
- battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- first aid kit
- medications (suggest a 7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, syringes, cane, etc.)
- list of family and emergency contact information
- cell phone with charger.
- Keep in contact with family, friends, neighbors.
You can call the Berks County Area Agency on Aging at 610-478-6500 for information about programs to help those who qualify with weather-related emergency assistance.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
2 Lynn women killed in accident on Kings Highway
Man says police have often mistaken him for Eric Frein
Canada PM: Soldier slain 'in cold blood'
Vacation turns to tragedy when 3-year-old girl is killed
Bucks County man killed in crash on I-78 East in Upper Saucon
Divers go underwater to map submerged trains
Police: Man posing as concert promoter targets retirement community
Boy, 16, charged with attempted homicide in stabbing
Inferno damage at least $12M; collapse potential examined
School bus crash sends 4 students to hospitals