Albright awards 23 Shirk scholarships to Berks students
Albright College has awarded the 2013 Eugene L. Shirk Scholarships to 23 students from high schools throughout Berks County.
The individual awards, worth between $70,000 and $100,000 over four years, total about $1.85 million over four years, college officials said.
Shirk Scholar recipients must complete 25 hours of community service each semester and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.
Applicants are evaluated on five areas: community service, involvement in high school, leadership potential, communication skills and academic ability.
The scholarship winners and their high schools are:
- Alexa Derr and Tucker Rush, Berks Catholic;
- Joy Gallie and Nathaniel Halter, Berks Christian;
- Leah Williams, Boyertown;
- Melissa Komand, Brandywine Heights;
- Alyssa Reimenschneider, Conrad Weiser;
- Morgan Raneiri, Daniel Boone;
- Holly Hoover, Exeter;
- Angela Cremer and Elizabeth Rohde, Fleetwood;
- Benjamin Simpson, High Point Baptist Academy;
- Ellen Underwood, Kutztown;
- Zayla Tolland, Muhlenberg;
- Audrey Boyer, Oley Valley;
- Nigeria Seabury and Alexander Robles, Reading;
- Blake Tobias, Schuylkill Valley;
- Dylan Shipe and True Kessler, Tulpehocken;
- Kiersten Slawter, Twin Valley;
- Megan O’Brien, Wilson;
- Caroline Endy, Wyomissing
Since its inception in 1995, the Eugene L. Shirk Scholarship program has graduated more than 240 Shirk Scholars, with aid totaling more than $7.5 million.
Albright established the scholarship to honor the late Gene Shirk and encourage Berks County students to follow his lead of community service, leadership, strength of character and commitment to excellence.
Shirk, who died in 1994 at the age of 92, was a math professor, track and cross-country coach, and manager of the athletic department at Albright. He served two terms as Reading's mayor.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Driver charged with DUI in crash that killed East Penn CEO
Seahawks WR Rice retires
Man found with 200 marijuana plants in yard, police say
House hit by another tractor trailer
Vehicles carrying HS football players involved in rollover accident
Male drowns in pool of Days Inn
France: Air Algerie plane likely crashed
Officers charge 'pervy' dad soliciting sex with minor through online ad
Flicker of hope for crumbling Coplay cement kilns
Coroner: Man a victim of accidental drowning