Sunrise Chef: Jamie McKeon
Updated On: Oct 26 2012 04:36:01 PM CDT
St Luke’s University Hospital Executive Chef Jamie McKeon joined 69 News at Sunrise and showed off some healthy, fall recipes.
Blood Orange Vinaigrette
Blood oranges give this vinaigrette beautiful color and a unique flavor. Use this flavorful vinaigrette on a spinach salad or along with any tossed salad.
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup blood orange juice (about 2 blood oranges)
• 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or about 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 1 teaspoon cardamon
• 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard or Creole mustard
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender or container of an immersion blender. Blend until smooth.
Makes about 1 cup.
Butternut Date muffins
This is very healthy and moister than regular muffin. Apple sauce, squash and date infused recipe gives it a rustic whole grain taste. Chick peas replace eggs for better dose of fiber. Refrigerate after baking or can be frozen.
• 2 cups chopped butternut squash-cooked
• 1 cup whole pastry flour
• ¾ cup all purpose flour
• 1 ½ tsp baking powder
• ¾ tsp baking soda
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp ground allspice
• ¼ tsp salt
• 1 cup rinsed and drained chickpeas
• ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
• ½ cup non fat milk
• 1/3 cup canola oil or light olive oil
• 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 1 cup finely chopped dates, divided
• 12 walnut halves
1. Place squash in steamer and steam until very tender, about 15 minutes. Set aside and cool.
2. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable sprayer and line with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix together wheat and all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and salt.
4. Place cooled squash, chickpeas and apple sauce, milk, oil, ginger, vanilla and ½ the dates in food processor and blend until smooth. Add this puree to dry ingredients and mix gently until smooth. If mixture is too dry, add a small amount of additional milk. Batter should be thick and wet. Fold in remaining dates.
5. Divide mixture into muffin cups. Top with walnuts. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean by inserting to center of muffin about 18-21 minutes. Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pickled Tri-colored Cauliflower
1 gallon tri-colored or regular cauliflower
1 1/2 qt. onions (diced medium)
2 green peppers (diced medium)
1/2 c. salt
3 c. sugar
3 c. vinegar
1 tblsp red chili paste
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. mustard seed
Cut cauliflower into florets. Blanch cauliflower in boiling water for 2 minutes. Bring out and place in ice bath to shock (stop the cooking). Discard ice and water. Place all ingredients except cauliflower in bowl. Whisk to dissolve sugar and paste. Add cauliflower. Place in refrigerator for 4 hours. The longer it sits the better it tastes. Great side salad for chicken or fish.
Roasted Root Vegetables
1 butternut squash – (approx. 2 1/2 lbs) -- peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" pieces - (about 5 cups)
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes -- unpeeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 bunch beets - (Approx. 1 1/2 lbs) -- trimmed, not peeled, scrubbed, and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 medium red onion -- cut 1/2" pieces
1 large turnip -- peeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces - (Approx. 1 cup)
1 garlic head -- cloves separated and peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt -- to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper -- to taste
1 pound cooked red crimson lentils
(You can substitute or add parsnips)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Oil 2 large rimmed baking sheets.
Combine all ingredients in very large bowl; toss to coat. Divide vegetables between prepared baking sheets; spread evenly. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Roast vegetables until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour 15 minutes. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Toss in sauté pan with lentils just to warm. Place over mixed greens or by itself.
Splash with blood orange vinaigrette.
Yield: 6 servings.
Copyright 2012 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Police: Deaths of 2 men inside car a murder-suicide
1 dead in police-involved shooting in Northampton County
Restaurant owners distraught over plans to condemn property
Elderly woman struck by car in parking lot, killed
Foul language may stop plans to rename ASD football field for Andre Reed
Family makes plea for help to save their puppy
Thousands of dollars raised for man repeatedly mistaken for Eric Frein
Did Eric Frein drive away?
Hazing allegations cancel football season at CB West HS
Police in right place at right time make arrest in burglary