State roads closed in eastern Pennsylvania due to Hurrican Sandy
Updated On: Nov 08 2012 05:55:49 AM CST
State Roads Closed in East Central Pennsylvania Due to Storm – as of 10 p.m. Nov. 7
Allentown – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) advises drivers several state roads are closed or restricted in East Central Pennsylvania because of weather issues caused by Hurricane Sandy.
Here is the latest list of road closings in PennDOT Engineering District 5, which includes Berks, Carbon, Lehigh, Monroe, Northampton and Schuylkill counties (as of 10 p.m.):
• Monocacy Creek Road at US 422 in Amity Township is closed due to flooding;
• Mertztown Road between Valley Road and Lehigh County Line in Longswamp Township is closed a due to flooding;
• Bertolet Mill Road between PA 73 in Oley Township and Lobachsville Road in Pike Township id closed a due to flooding;
• Frystown Road between Deck Drive and Lancaster Avenue in Bethel Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• Boundary Line Road between Molasses Hill Road and Focht Drive in Penn Township is closed due to a downed tree;
• Brownsville Road between Stricker Road and Milestone Road in North Heidelberg Township is closed due to a downed tree;
• Brownsville Road between State Hill Road and Wagner Road in Lower Heidelberg Township is closed due to a downed tree;
• Irish Creek Road between Shartlesville Road in Penn Township and Hook Road in Centre Township is closed due to flooding;
• Pine Forge Road between Douglass Drive in Douglass Township and PA 662 in Amity Township is closed due to a downed tree;
• State Street between Longswamp Road and Centennial Road in Longswamp Township is closed due to flooding.
• Dryville Road between Locust Street in Richmond Township and Lyons Road in Rockland Township is closed due to a downed tree.
• Indian Creek Road at Cedar Crest Boulevard in Upper Milford Township is closed due to flooding;
• Spring Creek Road at Mill Creek Road in Lower Macungie Township is closed due to flooding;
• Spring Valley Road between Landis Mill Road and Washington Lane in Upper Saucon Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility;
• Churchview Road between Vera Cruz Road and Faith Road in Upper Milford Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• Camp Meeting Road between Saucon Avenue and Bay Hill Drive in Upper Saucon Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• Honeysuckle Road between Black River Road and Emmaus Avenue in Salisbury Township is closed due to a downed utility.
• School House Road between Wooddale Road in Price Township and Manzanedo Road in Middle Smithfield Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• Upper Smith Gap Road between Mountain Road and Mount Eaton Road in Ross Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• PA 402 between Resica Falls and Courtright Lane in Middle Smithfield Township is closed due to a downed trees and utility;
• Long Pond Road between PA 115 and Stoney Hollow Road in Tunkhannock Township is closed due to a downed trees and utility;
• PA 715 between Hill Motor Lodge Road and Sullivan Trail Road in Pocono Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• PA 314 between Upper Swiftwater Road in Pocono Township and Ski Haven Drive in Paradise Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• PA 715 between PA 611 and Shine Hill Road in Pocono Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility;
• Kuhenbeaker Road between PA 115 and Hypsie Gap Road in Tunkhannock Township is closed due to a downed utility;
• Cherry Valley Road between Kemmertown Road and Glen Brook Road is closed due to a downed utility;
• Cherry Valley Road between Glen Brook Road in Hamilton Township and PA 191 in Stroud Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility;
• Club House Road between PA 715 and Cherry Lane Road in Pocono Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility;
• PA 715 between Alpine Lake Road and Club House Road in Pocono Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility.
• Island Park Road between Berger Road and Park Place in Williams Township is closed due to adowned tree;
• PA 611between Browns Drive in Williams Township and Cedarville Road in Easton City is closed due to a downed trees and utility;
• Old Allentown Road between Male Street in Bushkill Township and Roosevelt Street in Wind Gap Borough is closed due to a downed tree;
• South Main Street between True Blue Road and Flicksville Road in Washington Township is closed due to a downed tree and utility;
• Freemamsburg Avenue between Dunkle Street and Leeman Street in Palmer Township is restricted due to a downed tree and utility.
PennDOT is urging motorists to avoid unnecessary travel but those who must head out will see speeds reduced to 45 mph on the following highways in District 5:
• Interstate 81 in Schuylkill County;
• Interstate 78 in Berks, Lehigh and Northampton Counties;
• Interstate 176 in Berks County;
• Interstate 80 in Monroe and Carbon Counties;
• Interstate 380 in Monroe County;
• US 22 in Lehigh and Northampton Counties;
• PA 33 in Northampton and Monroe Counties.
Also, these types of vehicles will be prohibited from traveling on the speed-restricted roadways:
• Class 9 vehicles (Overweight and over-dimensional trucks);
• Empty straight trucks;
• Large Combination Vehicles (tandem trailers and doubles);
• Tractors hauling empty trailers;
• Trailers pulled by passenger vehicles;
• Motorcycles; and
• Recreational Vehicles, or RVs.
Vehicles in these classifications should pull over to a safe area and wait for the restriction to be lifted.
Although PennDOT recommends not traveling during intense storms, motorists can check road conditions on more than 2,900 miles of state roads by calling 5-1-1 or visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, average traffic speeds on urban interstates and access to more than 670 traffic cameras. Regional Twitter pages and personal alerts are also available on the 511PA website.
Travelers who must be on the roadways should be sure that they have an emergency kit packed in their vehicles. A basic kit should include non-perishable food, water, blanket, small shovel and warm clothes. When preparing an emergency kit, motorists should take into account special needs of passengers such as baby food, pet supplies or medications and pack accordingly.
PennDOT also reminds citizens that information such as checklists for emergency kits and templates for emergency plans, as well as other information and volunteer opportunities, is available at www.ReadyPA.org or by calling 1-888-9-READYPA (1-888-973-2397).
Copyright 2012 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Coroner: Poconos husband, wife die in apparent homicide-suicide
Pregnant woman fatally shot in East Norriton Twp.
Community rallies around family-owned dairy farm recovering from barn collapse
New details emerge in Reading birthday party shooting
Reward offered for veteran's missing therapy dog
Allentown police: Man shot following brawl outside bar
Deadly gas explosion leads to calls for homeowners association
Official: Couple who wrote apparent suicide pact had long history of medical issues
New leads explored in hunt for missing jet
Reading residents: UGI never informed us of gas leak