Sea of pink honors carbon monoxide victim
Updated On: Apr 17 2013 10:55:09 PM CDT
A school district in Bucks County is grieving after two students are tragically killed. Authorities say the sisters died Monday night with their mother and father from carbon monoxide poisoning.
10-year-old Jamie Reitnauer was a 5th grader at Trumbauersville Elementary school.
"Very talented musically," described Ricki Stein with the Quakertown Community School District. "Worked with the reading Olympics team which means she read a lot of books and just everybody liked her.
Her older sister Kimberly was 16 and a junior at Quakertown Community High School.
"Kimberly was very smart, high academic achiever, she had some grand goals."
Goals like becoming a doctor or surgeon said Stein. Since news of the family's deaths, school officials have made counselors available to help grieving students and teachers. With sadness hanging over the school like a shadow Kim's classmates and friends did their best to brighten it Wednesday by wearing pink.
"There's a lot of people wearing pink today for her," said Janelle Croissette.
"To honor Kim," shared Elijah Wreman. "She was a great student and a great person.
"To show how much she meant," added Kelsey Carrol. "One person to this whole community."
We're told Kim frequently wore pink on Wednesdays, so students decided it was the best way to honor the teen who was taken too soon. The color has been a way to remember and show support.
"She was the smartest person I knew," said Carrol. "Anytime anybody needed any help she would always come and help them."
"In school people have been very supportive of one another and the whole school kind of came together as one," smiled Croissette.
"It kind of showed that we're all together, we're all here for each other," described Wreman.
Monday night investigators found Kim, Jamie and their parents Gary and Michele dead inside their Kumry Road home. The Bucks County DA tells 69 News Gary went to another home on the property after a fight with his wife. He broke the garage door and started his car inside. Authorities say the family tried to save him. Investigators tell us Michelle was in the garage, with Kim and Jamie in the kitchen.
"Terrific people, the parents really loved the kids," shared Stein.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Ready for round 2? More snow to follow what fell Sunday
Snow will continue through Tues afternoon, heavy at times
Coroner IDs man killed in 56-vehicle pileup on Pa. Turnpike
30-vehicle pileup leaves thousands stranded in snow on I-78
Police: Newlyweds lure man for thrill killing
Coroner IDs man killed in 56-car pileup on Pa. Turnpike
Employee pistol whipped during robbery of Muhlenberg Township video games store, police say
Person injured when vehicle goes into water
Nearly 100 vehicles involved in pair of wrecks in Chester, Berks counties
5 Tips to safe driving in wintry conditions