Mom left toddlers alone, fire strikes Norristown apartment, officials say
Updated On: Apr 22 2013 12:50:38 PM CDT
Two toddlers were flown to the hospital after a house fire in Montgomery County on Sunday.
It happened just before 1 p.m. in Norristown at 113 E. Marshall Street.
Some type of plastic was burning on top of two burners, fire officials said.
Crews quickly brought the fire under control.
Officials learned there should be a woman named Semaj Suber and her twin sons inside the apartment, but they only found the boys, covered in black soot.
They didn't find Suber or anyone else inside the apartment, officials said.
While emergency workers were attending to the boys, a woman later identified as Suber, mother of the boys, arrived on scene, officials said.
The 18-year-old woman told police she'd left her sons alone and walked from the apartment to the Thriftway grocery store at 815 Dekalb Street to get food.
Suber was taken into custody and charged with endangering the welfare of children, recklessly endangering another person and simple assault.
Officials said the toddlers are being treated for smoke inhalation and possible burns to their airways.
The fire is under investigation and the boys were placed in foster care.
Suber is being held on $15,000 bail.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Hershey unveils new logo
Officials: Fire that destroyed HS football equipment suspicious
Man hit by car while walking along road in Berks County
Body found in Allentown; death investigated as being 'suspicious'
Walmart evacuated for possible gas leak
Police: Child in critical condition after falling from window
Man accused of killing wife pleads guilty
Officials identify two killed in Carbon County crash
Man takes car for test drive, doesn't come back, police say
Grief counselors at school after 3 students die in crash