Local caterer writes about "growing up in the butcher shop"
Updated On: Jan 21 2014 10:12:19 AM CST
He's been around food his whole life.
Now, Northampton County caterer Joe DeFranco is sharing his story in his new book, "Growing Up In The Butcher Shop."
Joe's brought a little bit of "the good old days" to our kitchen on 69 News at Sunrise.
He joined WFMZ's Eve Tannery to tell us about his new book and to share a family recipe.
- olive oil (for frying)
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 lb (4pc) boneless pork chops (butterfly)
- 1/4 lb grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1cup fresh breadcrumb
- salt to taste ( remember cheese is salty)
- Using a very sharp knife,"butterfly" the steak (or have the butcher do it).
- Pound the steak with a meat mallet until its about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Spread the minced garlic, minced parsley, breadcrumb and cheese evenly over one side of the meat, to within a 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Starting with the long edge, tightly roll the meat up (like for a jelly roll).
- Tie the rolled meat tightly every few inches along the length of the roll, with the cord (make sure the ends of the roll are tied well).
- Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan, add braciole.
- Fry the meat, turning it frequently until evenly browned.
- Add the browned braciole to the pot of simmering tomato sauce to finish cooking (about 45 minutes).
- To serve, remove the cords and slice the braciole into 1 inch slices.
- Spoon some sauce over the slices.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Woman's body found in Lehigh Parkway
Coroner: 2 males struck, killed by passing train in Upper Milford Twp.
Woman charged with kidnapping estranged girlfriend in Lehigh Co.
Police: Berks man drove snowmobile into cars, fired gun at wife
Victims identified in Wilson double-shooting
Women brawl at Walmart; charges filed
Protesters spar in Bethlehem over immigration crisis
Man charged in deadly DUI crash near victim's home
Effort man, 31, killed in ATV accident
Counterfeiters victimize businesses in Northampton County