Local caterer writes about "growing up in the butcher shop"
Updated On: Jan 21 2014 10:12:19 AM CST
He's been around food his whole life.
Now, Northampton County caterer Joe DeFranco is sharing his story in his new book, "Growing Up In The Butcher Shop."
Joe's brought a little bit of "the good old days" to our kitchen on 69 News at Sunrise.
He joined WFMZ's Eve Tannery to tell us about his new book and to share a family recipe.
- olive oil (for frying)
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 lb (4pc) boneless pork chops (butterfly)
- 1/4 lb grated pecorino romano cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- 1cup fresh breadcrumb
- salt to taste ( remember cheese is salty)
- Using a very sharp knife,"butterfly" the steak (or have the butcher do it).
- Pound the steak with a meat mallet until its about 1/4 inch thick.
- Lightly season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Spread the minced garlic, minced parsley, breadcrumb and cheese evenly over one side of the meat, to within a 1/4 inch of the edges.
- Starting with the long edge, tightly roll the meat up (like for a jelly roll).
- Tie the rolled meat tightly every few inches along the length of the roll, with the cord (make sure the ends of the roll are tied well).
- Heat olive oil in a heavy frying pan, add braciole.
- Fry the meat, turning it frequently until evenly browned.
- Add the browned braciole to the pot of simmering tomato sauce to finish cooking (about 45 minutes).
- To serve, remove the cords and slice the braciole into 1 inch slices.
- Spoon some sauce over the slices.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
State police: We have taken Eric Frein into custody
Police: Woman on bicycle struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
Captured Eric Frein appears before judge for first time
69 News gets up-close look at abandoned hangar where Frein was caught
Residents watch Frein's capture at airport hangar
One person killed in Schuylkill County crash
1 pilot dead in Virgin's spaceship failure
U.S. Marshal who caught Frein: He looked 'sad' and 'defeated'
Fire tears through Phillipsburg row homes
Teen wins $4M on lotto tickets given as birthday gift