King George Inn contents auctioned off until gas leak forces building's evacuation
Updated On: Dec 18 2012 04:36:04 AM CST
Lehigh County's King George Inn has gone dark but Monday it was brought to life again.
Much of the contents of the King George Inn were auctioned off until a gas leak forced an evacuation of the restaurant.
As the hot water heater was being removed from its location in the restaurant, a gas leak was found, fire officials said.
The restaurant was evacuated and the auction called off until further notice.
Owner Cliff McDermott was forced to close the establishment in August.
The building has been around since 1756.
It's on the National Register of Historic Places.
The closing has been tough for patrons and former employees.
"It's really, really awful to see," said former employee Joanna Bertalan. "I'm hoping there's a good person out there that would like to buy this building and keep it up because it's just history. It would be a shame and there's so many people that would come here all the time. Their hearts are broken."
While the restaurant is gone for good there's no word yet on what will happen to the building.
It's also up for sale.
A date to continue the auction has not yet been set.
Copyright 2012 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Ambush suspect ID'd, considered armed, 'extremely dangerous'
Teacher faces charges for having sex with 14-year-old student
Women rush to struck jogger's aid in Lower Macungie
2-vehicle accident sparks 'major' gas leak in Reading
PSP to shooter: 'You are a coward;' reward upped to $75,000
Lehigh County man charged in quadruple Florida murders
Authorities: Man murdered ex-wife, killed himself
State trooper shot in ambush now conscious, talking
Pa. Senate committee approves property tax reform bill
Police: Serial shoplifter busted with $1,900 crossbow