Ideas to encourage your kids to eat well
Updated On: Jul 30 2013 10:45:48 AM CDT
By Nikki, Pure Matters
Here at Pure Matters we often talk about healthy food options and great ways to get active; however, we don’t always focus on the little people in our lives. No, not the Roloff's… our kids!
How can we make sure our kids are eating wholesome, nutritious meals? More important, how can we get them to eat their veggies?! And how can we make sure they are getting enough exercise? Here are some helpful hints.
- Let them help. From picking out recipes and grocery shopping to helping out in the kitchen, if you keep your child involved, he or she will be more likely to eat what you serve.
- Set a good example. If your children see you making healthy food choices and taking time to exercise, they will be more likely to follow in your footsteps. On the flip side, be careful about your body image and expressing negative thoughts out loud. Love yourself!
- Give them options. Do you want the peas or the green beans? Do you want to play soccer or take dance? Let your children feel like they are the ones in charge and you will get a lot further than forcing them to do what you want.
- Eat as a family. And keep the TV off! Make sure your kids realize that taking time to savor and enjoy food is important. Not only will you be bonding as a family, but you’ll be teaching good eating habits in the process.
- Don’t use food as bribes, rewards or punishment. Food is nourishment and if it’s used for other things your child could develop an unhealthy relationship with food. Try using stickers or gold stars.
- Everything in moderation. (My favorite!) Sure, let them eat cake! But save it for special occasions. Then it will taste even better!
Source: Pure Matters
Copyright Internet Broadcasting. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
State police: We have taken Eric Frein into custody
Police: Woman on bicycle struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
Captured Eric Frein appears before judge for first time
Residents watch Frein's capture at airport hangar
Police comb abandoned hangar where Frein was caught
Missing Hazleton boy found on Pacific island; father charged with kidnapping
Timeline: The hunt for Eric Frein
Synthetic marijuana: Cause for concern in Berks
1 pilot dead in SpaceShipTwo flight failure
Teen wins $4M on lotto tickets given as birthday gift