How to fit in fitness
Updated On: Aug 22 2013 03:01:53 PM CDT
By Bruce E. Beans, Pure Matters
It doesn't have to be "exercise." Dr. Sothern, coauthor of Trim Kids, suggests an "imagination station" inside, with space to dance and play with hula hoops and balloons. Outside, fill a tub with toys, Frisbees and balls.
Here are some more tips from Dr. Sothern and other experts:
- Talk with your doctor before your child starts a major physical activity, especially if he or she weighs too much or has other health problems.
- Cut the time you and your family watch TV or play video games. Limit time on the computer to 30-minute sessions for homework.
- Encourage unstructured physical activity, especially for younger kids. "Have them play tag, hide-and-seek, shoot hoops, explore a playground or nature park, bicycle, scooter, fly kites, walk your dog, have a game of catch or jump rope," Dr. Sothern says.
- Bar homework, TV, video games and the Internet for 30 to 60 minutes after kids get home from school. Urge them to play outside instead.
- Start slowly and easily. As your children get fitter, they can do more and succeed at games and sports.
- Do things you enjoy together.
- Encourage your school to provide regular physical education, recess and extracurricular activities.
- Encourage after-school programs to provide physical play.
- Consider signing up your child for sports and recreation programs -- at a level your child can enjoy.
- Help create a community environment that makes it easy and safe for your children to walk, ride bikes and use close-to-home facilities for physical activity.
- Find safe havens if you live in an urban area and worry about children playing outside. Among the options: YMCAs, Boys Clubs, Girls Clubs and the Scouts.
- Make sure your child wears a helmet when biking.
Source: Pure Matters
RHS color guard instructor charged in child sex abuse case
Wind hampers efforts to fight 5-alarm fire at motel in Muhlenberg
BBQ truck hearing sizzles in N. Whitehall Twp.
Driver killed when car hits tree on Route 10 in Berks
Reading police officer charged in theft of money evidence
Man killed when hit by minivan near airport
South Mall in Lehigh County being sold
Red Cross sets up shelter for motel fire victims
Feds: Schuylkill County firm attempted to smuggle machinery to Iran
Residents weigh in on Allentown's center city revitalization