Gerald Spiegelman, ex-treasurer of Lehigh Valley Kashrut Commission, charged with theft
Updated On: Jan 29 2013 11:24:29 AM CST
The former treasurer of the Lehigh Valley Kashrut Commission stands accused of stealing more than $85,000 from the non-profit group.
Gerald Spiegelman wrote checks from the commission’s bank account to himself and family members for personal expenses, officials said.
Police itemized the alleged thefts as follows, based on information provided by the LVKC's current treasurer:
- Spiegelman wrote numerous checks for cash, totaling $25,211, between Oct. 2003 and July 2011 from a Hebrew Family League (HFL)/LVKC account at Lafayette Ambassador Bank;
- Unauthorized cash withdrawals totaling $2,775 were made from the LVKC account at the bank between May 2011 and May 2012;
- Between Dec. 2002 and Feb. 2012, numerous checks of HFL/LVKC on the account at the bank were written out to "Gerald Spiegelman," "G. Spiegelman" and "Spiegelman." The checks totaled $42,686;
- Spiegelman also wrote out numerous HFL/LVKC checks on the account to family members. Those checks totaled $5,200;
- Spiegelman forged the signature of another former treasurer when he wrote out one check for $500 to himself;
- Spiegelman also wrote $9,200 in LVKC checks for personal bills to Providian Card, Verizon Wireless, HSBC Card Services, Citicorp Credit Services, RCN Telecom, T-Mobile and Exxon/Mobil;
- Bank fees for overdrafts on the LVKC account totaled $352.
Spiegelman, 46, of Allentown, was charged Friday with theft by deception, receiving stolen property and forgery.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Fire destroys well-known restaurant in Poconos
Police: Wrong-way driver on Route 22 slammed into 4 cars, 5 people hurt
Workers sickened by unknown chemical
Crash involving overturned truck closes Route 222 in Richmond
Wrong-way driver causes wrecks on Route 22, emergency dispatchers say
Former Lehigh University student accused of murdering his mother
Police: Oversized truck may have damaged covered bridge
AG warns of several phone scams making the rounds
Man arrested over hidden cameras in restrooms
Suspect in killings of 2 people in Idaho arrested in Reading