Firefighters from 2 counties battle blaze in Colebrookdale
Updated On: Nov 15 2012 02:15:18 PM CST
Firefighters have gotten control of a fire that damaged a metal manufacturing company in Berks County.
They got the call around 2 p.m. Wednesday for the report of a fire at Performance Metals, previously known as SciCast International, at 650 North Route 100, in Colebrookdale Township.
Dozens of firefighters from Berks and Montgomery counties were dispatched to the scene. They arrived to find a shed attached to the building on fire.
"The shed itself burned down, so we kept it from essentially going inside the building, and we contained to that shed and the wall of the building," said Chief Lloyd Wary, Liberty Fire Co.
Firefighters said smoke could be seen a few blocks away, but workers on the inside of the building said they knew something was wrong when the power started to go out.
"It had gone up fast. It just spread so fast... and didn't take long for the building to come down," said Larry Schafer, an employee.
Company officials said they have trained their staff for something like this, and it paid off.
"We do a lot of training here with safety," said Rick Durborow, vice president of operations. "We have a good evaluation program. We do drills, and it paid off today, obviously.
No one was injured. The fire was sparked by a mechanical malfunction inside the shed, said company officials, adding that business was back to normal on Thursday.
According to Performance Metals' website, the company is an integrated products, tool design and die cast metal manufacturer.
Copyright 2012 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Mystery Malaysia flight apparently off course
Police: Allentown woman stabbed her grandfather to death
Spring preview won't last long with return of colder air
Man shoveling snow outside church found unconscious, bleeding
Coroner: Trooper's pregnant wife was shot in the head
Angela Davis, Nas discuss abolishing prisons
Crime hurting businesses in Reading
Berks couple to compete on new televised food show
Southern Lehigh SD makes decision about 2 elementary schools
Drexel student's death probed as possible meningitis