Fatal fire claims one life in Schuylkill Haven
Updated On: May 30 2014 09:24:51 PM CDT
A house fire killed a 71 year-old Schuylkill County woman Friday afternoon.
Relatives believe her death was an accident caused by a tragic combination of a lit cigarette and medication.
The flames broke out around noon in the 400 block of East Main Street in Schuylkill Haven. It wasn't a big fire, but it was enough to get Art Salisbury's attention.
"I was driving down the road going to my doctors appointment saw smoke coming out as I passed by it broke through the windows the fire," he said.
Schuylkill Haven firefighters got to the home in minutes, but it was already too late.
Inside, they found Hannah Wassel dead.
Neighbors said Wassel lived in the home for decades.
Firefighters were able to contain the flames to one front room.
"Heavy fire in the front room we kept it in that room only did not spread from first room," said fire chief Michael Donatti.
The state fire marshal hasn't released an official cause yet, but the victim's son, Daniel Wassel, a Reading city firefighter, said his mother was on strong medication and likely fell asleep after lighting a cigarette.
If there's any silver lining to this tragedy, it's this: there could have been two people inside the house.
Neighbors said the victim's daughter had just left moments earlier for a doctor's appointment.
Copyright 2014 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Marijuana grow operation dismantled; hundreds of plants seized
Police close roads in Monroe County during search for Eric Frein
Air Products announces major restructuring
State police to ambush suspect: 'We are coming for you'
Police respond to reports of alleged cop killer near ESU's campus
Schools close again because of alleged cop killer on the loose
Eric Frein added to FBI's 10 most wanted fugitives list
Fallen trooper eulogized in Scranton as impeccable officer
Police, family search for missing Northampton teen
Ambush suspect ID'd, considered armed, 'extremely dangerous'