Cold weather may have claimed 71-year-old man's life
Updated On: Jan 26 2013 05:42:54 AM CST
In the dead of winter smoke from a chimney can be a signal of survival.
"You burn wood right? Always burn wood no matter what," Johnny Andrade said.
But earlier this week when Johnny Andrade didn't see smoke from the home of Walter Elwine, 71, his Mount Pocono, Monroe County neighbor he knew something was wrong.
"I say man I hope he didn't pass away," he told us.
Walter was pronounced dead at 6:20 Thursday night. The coroner said the man who had a litany of health problems had been dead for two days.
Walter lived alone. The coroner believes he was on his couch and because of a medical condition couldn't get up to stoke the fire. Since he lived alone no one could do it for him.
The coroner said Walter's death was a combination of natural causes and being in the cold but is awaiting an official stance until toxicology reports come in.
Neighbor Jackie Possinger says she checks on Walter often, the two both love Johnny Cash, she just didn't check this week.
"I wish I would have checked on him or someone would have checked on him. He's right there. My husband always checked on him but he didn't check on him yesterday," Jackie said.
Police say Walter was found by his son, after receiving a call from Andrade. Andrade and his wife, Maria, would often bring Walter food on the holidays. Unfortunately there wasn't a holiday this week.
Copyright 2013 WFMZ. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Mystery Malaysia flight apparently off course
Police: Allentown woman stabbed her grandfather to death
Spring preview won't last long with return of colder air
Man shoveling snow outside church found unconscious, bleeding
Coroner: Trooper's pregnant wife was shot in the head
Angela Davis, Nas discuss abolishing prisons
Berks couple to compete on new televised food show
Crime hurting businesses in Reading
Southern Lehigh SD makes decision about 2 elementary schools
Feds: Berks businessman failed to pay more than $4.5 million to IRS